Only a local of LA for about seven months, Coutrney Hunter, 23, from Orange County, California moved to Venice, CA in September of 2013.
The California native spends her time speaking Spanish as a way to stay connected to her year spent in Andaucia, Spain; she also highly enjoys: yoga, hiking, cooking, and listening to live music to name a few things. Courtney reveals her love of LA and all its hidden treasures below in her top 10 list – but before we jump ahead, Courtney shares some insider knowledge:
LA is HUGE and DIVERSE.. Every beach town is different (and far) from Hollywood and Downtown LA; yet, what is so attractive about this city is how every district has something different to offer. Downtown has completely revamped and is a great place to walk to bars/restaurants, see concerts at Club Nokia, or go to the Staples Center and catch a game. We-Ho (West Hollywood) is where the “scene is at.” You have SO many opportunities for so much: clubs, speakeasys, concerts (Hollywood Bowl, Hollywood Paladium, El Rey Theatre, The Fonda Theatre), plays/musicals (The Pantages Theatre), people watching, Hollywood walk of fame, comedy shows (UCB, Second City, Groundlings), vintage/thrift store shopping, record shopping, etc. . . I highly recommend talking to someone who lives in LA before you go because they can help you narrow down where to go/what to see given the amount of time you will spend while you are here.
Courtney’s top 10 favorite spots in LA –
1. Melrose Ave. in West Hollywood. Walk it all day. Stores, food, famous people (if you can find ’em), and comedy (Improv and Groundlings). What more could you want in a day?
2. Hollywood Bowl (Hollywood): It is an institution. It’s magical. It has some of the best acoustics and the best acts that combine as an inspirational force of sound hypnosis. Your life may never be the same after seeing a concert here.
photo by: 714tickets.com
3. 1iota.com: Sign up to win tickets for varios events/ concerts happening in LA or tickets to see Jimmy Kimmel Live! I went and saw the Paul McCartney street concert FOR FREE. It was awesome!
4. The Tasting Kitchen (Venice): Awesome food, awesome mixology, and always PACKED. You will always have a good experience.
photo by: hipmonk.com
5. The Bungalow (Santa Monica): Come here to be seen and look at others wanting to be seen. It is a half inside/half outside bar and boasts for a great Sunday afternoon.
photo by: thebungalowsm.com
6. UCB (Hollywood): Go see a comedy show. They are HILARIOUS.
7. La Descarga (Downtown): Salsa speakeasy.
photo by: AIA | LA